- Computer graphics metafile
- Capture, storage and transfer of graphical information.
- Used from the content structure of geometric graphics in ODA.
- Tagged image file format.
- TIFF consists of a set of images with a header that contains options
that determine the coding of the images.
- Widely used as a format for the exchange of image data.
Joint Photographic Experts Group(JPEG) :
Continuous tone still images are converted by the JPEG-a collaboration between ITU-T and ISO to develop a general-purpose compression standard for both gray scale and color images.
JPEG doesn’t refer to a specific image file format.Two file formats are used
- JFIF(JPEG file interchange format)
- TIFF format.
Technology : three-part algorithm has been defined-
- A baseline system
- An extends system &
- Loss less compression system.
- JPEG is designed to exploit the known
limitations of the human eye, which is less sensitive to small changes in color
than in light and shared.
- It works well on photographs and
naturalistic artwork, but is less successful with line art.
- In general, the more complex & subtly rendered the image, the more likely it is that JPEG will do well on it.
- JPEG is capable of rendering of reducing
the size of an image by a factor between 10:1 & 20:1 without visible loss.
- Greater compression (range 30:1 to 50:1) is possible if some reduction in quality in acceptable.
- JPEG is particularly unsuitable for bitonal
- It is not very useful for gray scale images with fewer than 16 levels of gray.